Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Night Circus (by Erin Morgenstern)

I can't help but put both these images on this post because... I like them so much! JUST LIKE I LIKED THIS BOOK! There are so many reasons to too, that can be likened to our beloved Harry Potter: young characters, magic, danger, a duel of talent and wit, and... oh yes... narrated by JIM DALE. As soon as I heard his voice, my heart lept. 
To quote the author herself however, 'I find the JK Rowling comparison hugely flattering but not particularly apt'  ... which I must agree to. This is an entirely different book. I can, however, recommend it truly, madly, deeply as a fantastic audio read. I don't know what more to say other than I got through repairing 3 pairs of jeans, multiple other clothing items, and re-vamped about 6 tshirts on the sewing machine. Magical! Sorry if this post seems so fluffy... the book is not... read/listen and comment away!

8 comments:

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Mary Rollins just finished it this morning and I am an hour or so in. I love it! I had one of my best running times in weeks listening to this!

Jim Dale is fantastic as alway!

So far it has a feel that's more Neil Giaman-esque than J.K. Rowling. It also reminds me a bit of "Of Bees and Myst". I can't remember who wrote that but it is an S & S book.

iselby said...

This is a very good review! I think I might have to download it.

I'm reading Sea Escape right now and it's really beautiful. I think that it wouldn't be a very good audiobook though...

Erick Setiawan wrote Of Bees and Mist. So good!

Peddie said...

Awww Bees and Mist! I totally agree! And you will enjoy this, for definitely...

wow. Now I want to read Bees and Mist again.

Any audible recommendations before I start the next outlander? I'm almost done with "Nightengale Wood"... (heehee, oh so brit...)

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I want to read Bees and Mist again too. And, have Dancealot read it. I think she'd love it. Who has the original copy now? Mere?To me, it read like poetry. I love reading poetry.

Peddie, you've read Water for Elephants, right? What about Three Junes. I liked that quite a bit.

I adored Nightingale Wood. It was wonderful British in the same fashion as Major Pettigrew. I might have to post about that...

Peddie said...

yes, but even older brit! I am in love with Saxon too (however that may be spelled... that's another audio thing. I'm always surprised how names are actually spelled). I'm actually ready for some Jane Austen, methinks.

Yay poetry! and I have a copy OF B&M, but it's in Mannheim...

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Has anyone read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I know we "talked" about it once. I was curious about Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer (or something like that),too...

iselby said...

I haven't, but I was also curious. Maybe one of us should take on the challenge?

mere said...

Yes I have a copy of Bees and Mist. haven't read it though...I think I need to listen to more books on tape and will get info from you Gwennie about getting audio book subscription. Am still plodding through Great Expectations and an alarmingly sluggish pace!