Monday, January 23, 2012

The Woman in White and my iPad






The version I read on my
iPad looks so different!
Good golly! We haven't had a book review on here in months. For shame...I know Isabug and I have had a few posts on our regular blogs but really, has no one read a book worth mentioning?

I confess that I spent about a month listening to A Breath of Snow and Ashes (unabridged 50!! hours) by Diana Gabaldon in the crazy Outlander series. Get a life I say to myself but it was great and had a super surprise ending that I'd love to talk about with someone. Is anyone that far yet? Grandpa? I'm going to take a short break before I start in on the seventh and final (so far) book of the series.

I also have started reading real, electronic books on my Christmas iPad. I just finished The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins that I cannot say enough good stuff about. I loved it. I loved it so much that I might have to go to the effort to update my Facebook "favorite books" in appreciation only Wilkie Collins is long dead so I don't know how much he'll appreciate. He is, in fact, so long dead that his books are free in public domain. I loved this book so much that I wish I had read it and written a paper on it in my college 19th century British novels class. Instead, I will merely write this love post to it which will not be graded.

In addition, to loving The Woman in White, I love my new iPad. I really didn't think that I would like reading books on it but lying in bed at night with the lights out reading under the covers, I have found myself trying to turn non-existent pages on my iPad because it feels so real, and so book-like. And, yet, I don't have to have a flashlight/booklight to read my book. So far I have finished, the aforementioned Women in White, Mini-Shopaholic (from the library) and am almost through My Russian Grandmother and Her American Vacuum (also from the library and hilarious). There are times when I wish I could fold the corner of a page down and underline something wonderful that I just read but I'm getting over it because I couldn't/shouldn't do that in a library book anyway --although, I must admit a fondness for a gently underlined by someone else book. It always makes me feel a connection to this anonymous person and wonder why they found those words so special.

8 comments:

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Look! It's a post! Where is everybody :-)

iselby said...

I think I need to read the Woman in White if you loved it that much. I'm glad it's public domain, too :)

I've just been reading my book club books and the Hunger Games so I don't have anything too exciting. Should we copy and paste our book reviews to this site as well?

Gwennie said...

I think I like our book posts here. BTW, I hooked Grandpa up with this site the other day -- put it on his tabs. I tried to show him how to comment but I'm still waiting for him to reply to an email - haha. I also showed him how to click on ads :-)

He reads all our blogs to Grandma.

Peddie said...

Oh man... I still haven't started it! I haven't even been listening to my diana gablaldaldlron latley, so you may have to wait a little year/while for talking... er...

I'm currently reading Sherlock Holmes and the Paleo Solution!




bwahahahhahaha... typing without thinking! I'm leaving that! I love both, btw ;)
I also love that Gpa reads our blogs to Gmother.

mere said...

Honey, you have a KINDLE, not an ipad. hee hee
(I am downloading the WOMAN IN WHITE). Thank you for this post! BTW I am reading Hunger Games too although I may not enjoy it now after reading the first chapter of the Hunger Pains that Iz put on her blog. Catpiss! Carol Handsomestein! hahahahahaha

iselby said...

Oops, sorry for posting that!

And who has a Kindle?

Gwennie said...

Not me. I have an iPad. I love it!!!

Peddie said...

I have a kindle! Did mom think I was gwennie?