Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Help, revisited

I haven't done a post on an actual book in a while, so I think it's about time. My most recent endeavor has been THE HELP, which was previously posted about by Gwennie in April. She also posted that the reader did an excellent job at the accents so I have been trying to make up some great accents in my head while I read (Weird?). It does add to the story! So far, I'm loving it and can't wait to get home to read some more. There are a lot of characters narrating, but I think that the author does an excellent job at the transition.. unlike my awful memories of reading Faulkner's As I Lay Dying in high school. I had to make a map to keep all the characters straight. In fact, maybe I should read that book again. I didn't give Faulkner a fair chance.

My goal is to read more at night since I've recently become addicted to more TV shows. That's no good. My list of books to read currently are:

1. The Help (currently)
2. Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (I've been holding off)
3. Madonnas of Leningrad (mom's fav)


Hopefully I will stick to my reading list and get these finished before October. So many books to read!

12 comments:

mere said...

Sorry, but Faulkner is not one of my favorite writers....think fingernails on chalkboard

iselby said...

That's what I thought in high school too. I was just wondering if I would like him more now.. maybe give him a second chance?

Gwennie said...

Don't you love when talking about one book takes you down a whole different road of another book. The only Faulkner I can rreally ecall reading are short stories.

For what it's worth, Mary Rollins thinks that Kristen Chenoweth would be a great Miss Celia in the movie version ot The Help.

iselby said...

OMG - she's exactly right! Wow!

Peddie said...

Ahhh I'm so behind on these books! Luckily (...? or not?) I have a TON of workshop ahead of me since I'm entering ::dun dun dun::: DIE ABSCHLUSS PRÜFUNG!!!! (final exams!)

I guess it's even luckier that audiobooks exist though, now that I think of it. I will get back to you on whoever Celia is that our friend Kristen could play!

I need a storyboard for Stieg Larsson though... I just go with it most of the time, and slowly have gotten most of the names under control. Definitely not all though. My favorite recent quote?
"'Isn't that the room Lisbeth Sander is staying in?' Olson was not born yesterday."

Right after "He ate a slice of bread."

iselby said...

Apparently they already have the entire cast picked and ready. Oh well.. I didn't get to put my comment in the suggestion box.

Peddie said...

You get to have a say in that kind of thing?!??!

Gwennie said...

Is that true, Isa, that they have the cast picked already? Tell us who, or send the link!! I need to see if I approve.

Where's that suggestion box, and wouldn't it be cool if there was such a thing?

iselby said...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454029/

I don't know if I approve.

:(

Gwennie said...

I definitely don't approve. It's going to have a whole lot of atrocious southern accents. AND, is that woman playing Miss Hilly going to put on 40 pounds?

Appalling. Absolutely, appalling.

iselby said...

Here's my problem. I want somebody really tall and lanky like Eugenia is supposed to be - more Katherine Hepburn-esque and I don't think Emma Stone can cut it.

Viola Davis is great, but they'll need to put some makeup on her so that she looks a bit older. She is too fresh-faced to be Abileen.

iselby said...

MR already called it with Celia. Who the heck is that lady? So sad.

I hope they can pull it off...