Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I soooo don't have time to write this blog post but we haven't had any lately so it seems important.  I really should be working on a bunch of church volunteer stuff and some listing paperwork for an appoitnment tomorrow.  But here goes...

The Hunger Games (it's on Audible!). Just finished it this morning.  Got it for Will and Mary Rollins as it was on the summer recommended reading for a couple of the high schools in town.  Of course always wanting to be in on the latest that smart kids are reading today, I wanted it too.  I wholeheartedly recommend it.  Great story...what is it about books with a great story being labelled as "juvenile fiction"?  Sorry, have I ranted on that before?  But seriously, really a great stretch of imagination and character development in the post-apocolyptic US.  Normally, I'm not much of a fan of after-the-war/natural disaster genre of fiction but this book was almost timeless in its exploration of human nature and a fast-paced story.  Like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books transcending the crime genre, this book transcends science fiction. 

Confession...I had to break down and listen to it while not running because I wanted to know what happened next and I just couldn't run that much! I think that's my new adult equivalent of  reading under the covers with a flashlight.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with Twilight being a 1 and Harry Potter being a 10, I give it a 7.75.

Back to work.  Love you all!!!

17 comments:

iselby said...

Ha, I love the scale. I heard at a recent meeting that juvenile fiction are being picked up by more adults than ever.. apparently, other people agree with you! I have to admit that I haven't picked up any YA fiction lately, but I might just have to check it out.

thanks for taking time to do a review!

Peddie said...

I've been doing that with Neverwhere actually... I normally reserve the books for working on jewelry stuff or cleaning... but I've been listening to it while biking to the gym (less than 5 minutes away) and eating by myself, for instance.

Oh the single, student life!

PS: Isabug - it is also some good YA fiction, if a little gory.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Hunger games is a bit gory, too. Do you think Neverwhere is YA? For sone reason I thought it wa supposed to be adult but my kids are reading it. Will likes Neverwhere bit not as much as The Hunger Games.

Any votes on what audible book we need next? Although I still need to listen to Voyager which will take me 2 months to listen to I bet. I could train for a marathon while listening to it.

Peddie said...

I think I would seriously get too bored running to that, but go for it. I could probably get through two gesellenstücks, on the other hand.

Neverwhere might be more of an Almost adult book, perhaps? I feel like I got into Neil Gaiman in my first two years of college, but that I could have gotten into him at the end of high school, had I known.

Peddie said...

Ok, already on Mockingjay (the third book)... these audios are addicting. Lots of goldsmithing and knitting getting accomplished!!!

Peddie said...

How far are you guys, btw? I want to talk!!!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I'm only on Part 3 of Catching Fire. I'm so slow!!!! I ran yesterday even though it was supposed to be "rest" day just because I wanted to listen!! Sara W. LOVES these books. Katie and Will have both finished all of them too. Will also LOVES them.

Should we talk off-blog so as not to ruin anything for anybody else?

Peddie said...

Yes... perhaps... as usual, I started the third book in the trilogy (name any trilogy) thinking UGH, and now am totally into it. Ahhhh.

Peddie said...

DONE!

Whoa. I'm spent.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Still trying to finish Catching Fire. I must be near the end...almost everybody's dead...

Don't you like how the capitol people all have such pompous Greco-Roman Names and the people in the other districts have names that fit their districts chief occupation?

And then there's Pita, the bread boy...

Peddie said...

Hehe, I do find the names hilarious... especially since at first I thought "Peeta" was actually "Peter" and the reader just had a stranged-out accent.

I can't say much more than that, or who I like or don't like... SO MUCH STILL HAPPENS!!!

And I know... like more could happen... BUT IT DOES! I got out some of my steam by facebooking Sara. I told her listening at home made me late for class. She confessed that she would get yelled at in choir for sneak-reading.

When's the next audible coming?!?!?!

Peddie said...

Hmm... how's "House Rules"? I don't have that yet...

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Just finally finished Mockingjay!

Peddie said...

YES!!!! Man, do you feel exhausted or what?

Btw, I like House Rules so far, but am also now re-listening to Harry Potters because my friend Lena and I plan on having a Harry Potter film extravaganza next weekend and then going to the KINO on sunday (with Hannah Montana) to see the new film!

PS: Check your email! In case Isabug ever reads them, I don't want to give anything away!!!!

iselby said...

Hello! Over one year later... guess what?! I just read the Hunger Games (book 1) in one day! I see what you all mean... and I also wanted to comment again that I love your scale (Twilight to Harry Potter) but saw that I already have. I guess I really am me. I agree with your rating too - soo addictive and not quite as good as HP but still love it!

I'm going to start book 2 on the plane ride to Kentucky. Can't wait!

Pita, the bread boy.. AHHH you guys crack me up.

Peddie said...

Hahaa... oh poor Pita...

I'm thinking of relistening to them soon, but after "Three Cups of Tea" (which, btw, has nobody written a post about tHAT? Has anyone else read it?), I realized I hadn't put them back on my itouch... and started back up on Bossypansts again... and laughed in the Ubahn.

iselby said...

And I am now down with book 2 as well! Woohoo! Onto the 3rd and I would like a few more hours in the day, please.