Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dreaming in French

Update on Isabug:

I'm currently reading Dreaming in French and watching Law & Order:SVU and Bones. What does this say about me?

__________________________________
Dreaming in French by Megan McAndrew review:

I haven't actually finished it yet, but I picked it up because of the title and the cover as I am experiencing some extreme Europe lust. Aka: I need to be there. Alas...
The book is about a teenage girl growing up in Paris in the 70's(her mother and father are both American) and it's starting to confuse me because every book I pick up now focuses on a young girl in Paris. I guess I'm an easy target. It's really much more than just a book about a young girl in Paris but you don't really find that out until half way through. She is the daughter of a wealthy Connecticut man and her mother is a flamboyant and beautiful gal from Kentucky. (Kentucky!) Her mother goes out a lot, paints the house elaborately, etc. etc. and it's all going well until something happens involving Poland. (Poland - 1970s - get it?) I don't want to give everything away.

It's a good read, especially for the subway ride, and because I'm feeling super generous today - YOU'RE ALL GETTING ONE! Well, except Claire. Sorry Badbear.

"McAndrew's novel brings an original sensibility as well as a plot that takes satisfying, unexpected turns." New York Times Book Review

10 comments:

mere said...

Hooray!! Just like Oprah!

iselby said...

I'm having second thoughts about this book.. If you read it, let me know what you think!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Thank you Isabug!!! What are you having second thoughts about? Sending the book? Whether you like it? What the book's really about? Or, do we just wait to see!

I love Paris but I need to spend more time there to be really sure--like magnolia bakery banana pudding, I need to eat some more to make sure I really like it...

iselby said...

I'm having second thoughts about whether I like it. It goes through much more of this girl's life than I expected and I like naive, un-assuming younger girl better than her older self. But I'm still not done so maybe I'll change my mind again.

And hehehehehehhehee.

Peddie said...

Hmm... guess I'll just wait for the final review. And next time I go to NYC, I want to go to all the bakeries since we skipped donut plant last time (the horror!) and I've still never been to magnolia...

By the By, Sophie Kinsella has a book out in Germany called "Charleston Girl"... y'all heard?

Peddie said...

You ever finish it?

iselby said...

Yep. I rate it a B-. I don't regret reading it, but I won't read it again.

Peddie said...

Hmm... so, not that I don't have enough books on my list of "to read" right now, but I should I bother with it? Also, have you guys read "Water for Elephants"? I think the moms have... I'm interested because Edward Cullen is going to be in a movie with Elle and that Nazi...

iselby said...

who is Elle and that Nazi?

I haven't read it but I probably should! I want to read the Imperfectionists. Anybody read that?

Peddie said...

Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz ;)

And I haven't read that. Almost (finally!) done with Banner of Heaven though...