Thursday, September 20, 2012

Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness

Well, as it turns out I have been reading books lately and the last one I read ... actually 2 books ago now (I'm reading more than I think I am)... was also quite thrilling.  Though in another sense of the word, I'm sure.  I'm about to start Gone Girl so I'll let you know.

Brain on Fire is a book that one of the imprints I work for (full disclosure) is publishing in November and it was really, really good.  Amazing even?  I was pretty interested in reading it since it took us a while to come up with a cover so I heard lots of details to describe it and woah.  Girl catches rare disease, goes crazy, symptoms don't match any specific medical case, doctors are confused, parents are confused,  girl is dying...  magical doctor finds a cure.  I think you'll want to pick it up.  Actually, if you are Mere and you are reading this you can pick it up because I left it at your house.  Remember?

So it's a memoir of sorts, although she readily admits to not remembering a lot of her "month of madness" and had to rely on her father's journal entries and footage from the cameras in her hospital room.  Are you intrigued?   Check it out!

I wonder if it will be an audiobook.

2 comments:

iselby said...

I made a post!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I'll have to look for this book.

I've been reading some because I'm nursing a stress fracture in my foot and I haven't been able to run for a few weeks. I've had to replace my runs with miles on the stationary bike at the gym. I'm just now finishing up Discovery of Witches -- the grown up, improved version of Twilight. I bought it to read by the pool and then never laid by the pool.

I just realized this is a great algebra word problem: Gwen read a 592 page book in 7 hours on a stationary bike. If her average pace is 12 miles per hour, how many pages does she read per mile?

Follow-up question: How many calories does she burn per page?