Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Gone Girl

I can't stop listening to this...


Gwenda Williamson Mathews...3 days after...

I've stopped listening to it now because it's over.  It was absolutely gripping.  That's right -- gripping!  Honestly, how often do you use that word in real life about a book.  I even planned my last few days around doing mindless tasks that wouldn't interrupt my listening. 

I bought this a couple of months ago because I read a review in our local paper that made it sound so intriguing but I put off reading it because

a.  I had to finish A Clash of Kings
b.  Then I read the Persimmon Tree (loved it and forgot to mention it in my list of the last post)
c.  I had to listen to Echo in the Bone because we were driving through New England and I wanted a Colonial America reading fix at the same time and, well, those Outlander books take a while to finish

And finally, post-Echo in the Bone, I just couldn't wait anymore and I wanted to read it because it's the Number 1 NY Times best selling book but I have yet to hear anybody talk about this book yet.  Maybe, like me everybody read an early review from its release, bought the book, but then didn't have time to read it.  Clearly that must be the case because I haven't heard anybody talking about it and they should be!  It's fantastic.  The audio book is superbly done.

So quick run-down.  Amy Elliott Dunne is gone.  And, in a ripped from the headlines fashion, her husband Nick is naturally the number one suspect. The story told in first person excerpts by Amy and Nick who may or may not be reliable narrators.  I can't tell you anymore because I don't want to ruin any surprises but in the midst of the suspense and mystery be prepared for dark, twisted and interesting commentary on modern life in America. Brilliant.  

     

 

6 comments:

iselby said...

Excellent! I know what I'll be listening to while editing wedding photos for the next 2 months, haha!

I just listened to "The Witches" audiobook by Roald Dahl and it was also great and brought back all sorts of memories from elementary school. That guy... what a storyteller.

iselby said...

Ahhhh. Auntie! I started listening to Gone Girl last night while editing and stayed up til 1am (super late for me) listening to it and I'm only at chapter 9. My iPhone wouldn't connect to my computer so I couldn't listen to it on the way to work today either. So sad!

iPhone 5 get here soon!

Gwennie said...

I guess you like it??? It's so creepy but not in a Stephen King (whom I really dislike) kind of way...

iselby said...

Yea, at first I was confused as to why you said it was "thrilling" since I didn't really know anything about it. I just got to the part where he does a "killer smile" at the end of the TV interview. CREEPY.

iselby said...

I finished it!!!!!!

Actually, I finished it a while ago. I listened to it very quickly - like you said. And now I get "Gwen Mathews... 3 days later"

I really liked it. Thanks for reviewing and if you find another suspenseful audiobook let me know. I got so many weddings edited just sitting at my desk and listening. I think I finally understand audiobooks..?!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I'm so glad you finally get the audio book thing. I'm so happy because I can finally run again after being off almost 5 weeks. It's really the very best time to be read to!