Thursday, March 7, 2013

Peter and the Starcatchers

Or...what to read when you need a Jim Dale fix and you don't want to listen to the Harry Potter books again.

Mary Rollins and I are loving the Peter and the Starcatchers series, written by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson.  I don't know about you, but I was always a fan of Dave Barry's column back in the day which was probably the days before Peddie and Isabug knew how to read. 

In anticipation of a recent mom & daughter college visit driving adventure, I bought Peter & the Starcatchers audiobook narrated by Jim Dale to entertain us on our way to North Carolina & Virginia.  We finished the first book en route and enjoyed it so much that I needed the second book, Peter & the Shadow Thieves for the drive home.  They were delightful, combining both a very good story and the most wonderful reading by everyone's favorite narrator, Jim Dale.  While it was a little odd to hear the female protagonist speaking with Hermione's voice and we had to remind ourselves each time we turned the book on that we were listening to Peter and not Harry -- it was a worthy substitute.  And, unlike so many YA books, these are actually well written and the dialogue is funny rather than awkward and stilted (i.e. "Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."). 

Next week we are listening to third book as we head off to visit Belmont University.

What are you reading?

5 comments:

Gwennie said...

Look. Someone made a post...

iselby said...

Haha, I love that we have to comment to be seen!

I might just have to download this as well. What colleges were you visiting? That sounds like such a fun trip!

I remember the Dave Barry column because Dad used to read it out loud to us laughing the whole way through.

Gwennie said...

We went to University of Richmond. I think we are going to come look at Barnard, CUNY-honors college, Wellesley, Sarah Lawrence, and Skidmore. May need to see if we can book at room at the Hotel Linaburg:-)

And, we want to see Peter and the Starcatchers on Broadway which opens next week!

Peddie said...

Sometimes I can't believe we all (er, almost all. Cheers, Isabug) made it through Twilight.

Also - this Jim Dale production is also a musical?!?! COUNT ME IN (said with Seth Rudetsky enthusiasm!)

I am "reading" Gone Girl now, since just finished the second Game of Thrones and am allowing myself an episode a night (which is probably still more than I should be watching right now)... trying to pace it out. and sleep.

I did buy a book made of paper (!!!) the other day... Ensel und Krete, by Walter Moers (13 1/2 lives of Cap't Blaubär). Looking forward to reading it... sometime...

Gwennie said...

Even rereading that line from Twilight makes me want to barf. I saw that they have made that horrible adult book The Host into a movie. I couldn't get past the first two chapters.

Isabug, MR and I are going to the musical in May! Hurrah! If only Peddie and Mere could be there...

I just finished the third book. MR and I got sort of distracted with talking on the way to and from Nashville so we didn't make much progress in the car. It's very cute and I'm happy for Will to read in in lieu of Game of Thrones.

P.S. I apologize for ever getting us started on Game of Thrones.

P.P.S. I'm starting The Unlikely Pilgrimmage of Harold Fry next if anyone wants to read, er, listen to it at the same time.