Thursday, December 4, 2008

Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I just made this post on our family blog and then realized- ah ha- there is a much better place to make this posting!! (thanks aunt g)
Here it is, please feel free to comment:

I have to bring up something that has been bothering me and I haven't been able to successfully google any support for my reactions. First, has anybody read the F.Scott Fitzgerald book The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? If you haven't then you can probably find it online. I would highly recommend it, and have already read it 4 times in the past month. It's very short and very interesting.. however, making a movie about it? Are you out of your crazy mind? And making a loooong movie at that? Please.

I know that the movie is (key word) BASED on the book, but it doesn't even seem to come close. Granted, I'm making a post about a movie that I haven't seen and have no desire to see. From what I've read about the movie the only thing that I can find stringing it to the book is aging backwards. THAT'S IT. Key points of the story seem to be overplayed by romance in the movie.

If you're going to make a movie based on a short story, please... read it first.

Also, if anybody goes to see this movie and reads the book, please let me know how it is!

9 comments:

isabug said...

I'm realizing that my posts are following a pattern of not being based on much...

-I haven't tried any of the recipes from the cookbook I recommended
-I haven't see the movie that I am arguing about here.

Hm...sorry about that.

Susan D said...

'S ok...I do the same thing...I'm not even sure how to really blog. I trust you at least read the cookbook, right? This is all about reading...not performing! Thank goodness! :)

Gwennie said...

I'm not sure there's a right way or wrong way to blog is there?!?!?I'll have to read the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I find I'm in the mood lately to reread some classics. I really enjoyed The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins this year and I thought I might read The Woman in White, also by Wilkie Collins, that I saw mentioned in the paper this morning. I always loved those Victorians...

Susan D said...

Well, out of curiosity, Gwen (or anyone else) have you read Wuthering Heights? I could have sworn I read it in my junior year of high school, but after Twilight's mention of it, I really think I must have some way cheated. Did you like it? Should I read it again (or maybe for the first time?).

isabug said...

I did read the cookbook, as I like to read them, but not necessarily use them :) If only my cooking skills were up to par!

I'm currently re-reading "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" and although it is awkward for people on the subway to look over at my book to see the pictures, it is so great! I highly recommend it- like Claire!

Gwennie said...

I have read Wuthering Heights multiple times for both fun and school but it's been twenty years. Like Jane Austen, reading those Brontes comes with being an English major. I loved WH, btw, but I love Jane Eyre more and of course Austen more than those.

Peddie said...

Ditto that on the Wuthering Heights (and my, did I feel proud that I had read both that and Romeo & Juliet...) as being good. I actually only got around to reading it last year, but as with all Brontes, thoroughly enjoyed it. I may try to tackle it in German now. MAY.

As for Methuselah Button, I agree with Isabelle. I keep wondering what Cate Blanchett's doing in those movie posters...

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

So...has anybody now seen the movie? Natasa Pajic told me that it was great! I feel compelled to see it but I also need to support Isabelle in her protest of it! What ever should I do? Hmmm...guess, I'll wait for it on DVD.

Peddie said...

here here!!! I also support the DVD!

(mainly because I'm back in expensive/ no-time land, and already saw my standard 1 cinema movie for the next 6 months (and it was 'Twilight' again...)).