Friday, May 14, 2010

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I wish I could tell you what page I'm on in Water for Elephants but I can only say that I'm about 10 miles in and a lot of flowers planted and weeds pulled. I guess that puts me somewhere in Chapter 4 or 5. But this book had me at Chapter 2.
I've been meaning to read Water for Elephants for at least a year, maybe even two. It came highly recommended by several friends and I've even had it on my iPod for ages to listen to and just didn't get around to it.
Actually, I started it once but the book has two narrators (which I discovered once I finally got past the first chapter) and the first narrator -- an old man of 90 or 93-- was so difficult to listen to that I stopped reading. And, when I say difficult, I mean that it was hard to hear his voice over the treadmill I lost interest after about three minutes and switched to something else.
Anyway, now I'm captivated and can hardly wait to go for a run, pull some weeds or fold some laundry so I can go back to the Depression and join the Circus with Jacob Jankowski. While there's a bit more sex in this book, okay a lot more since Life of Pi has no sex, it has a quality to it that reminds me of that book.

11 comments:

mere said...

I enjoyed reading this several years ago and think that it would be an even better book for audio. I have the book if anyone wants to read print on old fashioned paper and exert their fingers to turn pages.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Sounds exhausting...just got back from walking dogs and listening. The old man's voice is growing on me...

iselby said...

My fingers are still in tip top shape from iPhoning-it.

Peddie said...

Iphoning it? Are you using it as a mini-kindle?

I actually do for "Flatland" because the page stays up when I don't have internet... but I don't think it's particularly good on the eyes.

Btw, does it seem like there are a lot of circus books in connection with sad times? I need to finish that one Isabelle gave me (that's home, probably on the bedside table in the music room still) about WWII.

iselby said...

No, but I text a lot.

Gwennie said...

How are you reading Flatliners on your iPhone?

Gwennie said...

I meant Flatland.

Peddie said...

Haha... do you like that movie, Auntie G? There was poster of it up at this cool cafe in Budapest, Zsuzsi (see selbies.blog...) took us to.

And yes, on the iTouch (aka, BadBear). It's hard though, and I haven't gotten very far because I keep reading other things. Finished Thousand Splendid Suns audiobook today and already started on Outlander (you like it, right? it's creepy for me so far, but it's also dark and rainy outside) and am reading 'Little Bee' which I like so far, though I feel like whatever bad happened is going to drop on me every second (I do not yet know what it is)).

I can't stop reading stuff now! I need to get some sleep! (everybody like my necklace models though... remember when I used to slave over a ping pong table to HP all night?)

mere said...

I just read that Rob Pattinson is going to play the lead in the movie version!!

Peddie said...

In what... Flatland? Little Bee? I doubt it...

Peddie said...

Let's open this back up!!! I just finished listening to "Water for Elephants" and then somehow managed to see the movie. I may have kinda been inspired to finally listen to it because I saw the movie trailer though, which looked very pretty...

As such, I read it with Robert Pattinson in mind as Jacob (oh so many Jacobs) and I think it really worked. I also though Christopher Waltz was a convincing crazy person (half bad and half apologetic... though I do wonder if he will ever play a nice guy). Reese... eh... my favorite character of hers is still Penelope's friend. The blond hair was very good though (and ok, she was alright).

Of course, the book was better. As far as adaptations go in that amount of time though... what can you do? I don't think the old guy seemed old enough (the audiobook definitely had me prepared for a much older guy. Also, I spent a lot of that book pulling weeds too, Auntie G!)

Finally... I was happy to see Paul Schneider since I now love Parks & Recreation, even though he's been gone awhile.