Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

I finished a book!!!  Okay, it's an audiobook but still I am in fact making a blog post about a book*.  And, it's a Simon and Schuster book.  Isabug, have you met Kathleen Grissom?  Can you get us all invited to her house?

I picked up the Kitchen House based on a recommendation that said, "if you liked The Help, you'll like The Kitchen House."  I did, in fact, love The Help and I really liked the The Kitchen House but I have to say the comparison would be that a.  they are both historical novels about "domestic help", b. one of the Kitchen House narrators is a narrator from The Help audiobook.   But, really the comparison for me pretty much ends there.  Very different theme, very different writing style and The Kitchen House isn't remotely funny.  What the Kitchen House does have for it, is a good story line about an indentured servant, Lavinia, living in Virginia at the turn of the 19th century. 

Dancealot and I have both read it and agreed that we liked it a lot but poor Lavinia has really rotten luck.  In fact, I think she might have been quite at home in The Series of Unfortunate Events books.  But, try it...it's on audible, if you know what I mean.






*I read a paperback Jodi Picoult book in February but I'm not sure that counts and I finished another Outlander series book which took me most of January and February.

4 comments:

iselby said...

Interesting... I had not heard of this but now I should probably pick up a copy or listen to it.(*wink *wink)

I have been so slow at reading lately. Bad Isabug. I'm still on the Elegance of the Hedgehog and after that I'm onto Oliver Kitteridge (mere's suggestion).

Peddie said...

Which Jodi Picoult? I am also listening to... haha, almost said House Rules... but no, tis "The Kitchen House" and had been thinking up till now that it might be alright (happiness-wise), then read this, and then starting with the NEXT chapter everything started going downhill!

Btw, I also noticed b)!

Peddie said...

Whew... I am finished. That was emotional.

Also, I do think it was good, but I definitely liked "The Help" better. I'm listening to "Life of Pi" now - it's been forever! I read that back before it was a household favorite!

Peddie said...

(cause I picked it up cause it had a cool cover and the catchphrase "this will make you believe in God.")