Monday, May 30, 2011

“Jesus, Mary, Muhammad and Vishnu, how good to see you Richard Parker!”

"The Life of Pi" by Yann Martel is one of Auntie G's absolute most favorite books, with good reason.


I like bragging that I read it (starting with a couple chapters at JoBeth because I was waiting for my nerd friends to come back from the graphic novels) a waaaay long time ago. This has, however, lost effect since I didn't really seem to remember why I liked it so much. 


For one (1), it is simply a great story, with stories in stories.

Two (2), the way in which it is written has a very old timey feel, I find, of explaining things so well that you can truely see them. This book is full of things for the senses.

Three (3), with all the tragedy that goes on, it still manages to be uplifting. I was constantly amazed at the voice of the narrator (i.e. Pi) and his outlook on all that he went through.

Four (4) it is the very best when reading it. Holding on to the feeling it gives you is so wonderful. When it ends... it just ends.


Lastly (no number), and this is not really positive or important, but rather a peeve... I don't think any illustrations fit that of the boat. It was bigger. That bugs me, but I still love the cover (which drew me to it in JoBeth) and I recommend it. Am I preaching to the choir here? Do you guys have anything more constructive to say about it?

8 comments:

iselby said...

I think I need to go to the library and check out the actual book.. his voice is just too quiet on audiobook to overcome the level of the loud NYers. Not surprisingly Seth Rudetsky has no problem with this on his audiobook!! And Tina Fey only has this problem when she whispers. SPEAK UP, I say!

Peddie said...

She does whisper a lot... (I think it's italics!)

I usually listen to "Life of Pi" in the park... with Rosi the dog. I don't have the loud problem unless the guy on his riding lawnmower is there.

Incidentally, I can't email tonight. I'm listening to Bossypants ;)

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

So, I love the title of this post! And, yes, I do love The Life of Pi. Reasons number 1, 2 and 3 were the things I loved about it -- especially the uplifting part!

Have you ever recommended it to somebody and they look at you weirdly when you say, "it's a book about a boy in a life raft with a tiger?"

But really what a brilliant premmise.

Also, the Tina Fey whispering thing was driving me crazy too. I thought it was maybe footnotes.

my captcha is "blessn" which supports my theory that captchas are NOT random!!!

Peddie said...

HAha, I unfortunately have to lead my conversations about it with that since it's title in Germany is, "Schiffbruch mit Tiger" or "Shipwreck with a tiger." Yes... that is the translation. Still, it is what a lot of the story is about. I think that one especially well projected feeling is that of loveFEARlove of Richard Parker. Whenever I think of that... there's a lot of love... and fear.

I was going to say something else but... forgot.

mere said...

Yes!! I am going to download both books onto my iphone!! Isabug can help me this weekend. I can't wait to see her and then Claire....when will I see auntie G??

Peddie said...

Awwwww the mere! This is such a great book... I love his voice.

I need to remember to add brand name Q-tips (nothing worse than "cotton swabs") to my list ;)

Btw guys... just finished Broadway Nights again. What next? And how many times has that been?

mere said...

Isabug needs to write a sequel, "Brooklyn Days"

Peddie said...

YEAH! I would listen to/read that!!!!