Thursday, June 23, 2011

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand


I'm in love with Major Pettigrew. Or, maybe I'm in love with Edgecomb-St. Mary's. Or, maybe I'm just an Anglophile.

Last spring break, we (Mere, MR and I) picked this book up at the Mt. Pleasant Barnes and Noble and decided that it would be our next "Williamson Girl Book Club" selection. I recall liking the cover art and the brief back cover write-up. Then, we put the book down, Mere deciding she'd buy it on Kindle (did you?) and I decided I'd buy that fifth Outlander book (really, when am I going to stop reading those!!) instead and that I'd get Major Pettigrew's Last Stand as an audiobook later.

I am confident, CONFIDENT I must say in all caps, that you all will love this book, too. It's sharp, funny, peaceful, and sweet. A well-written little gem with lots of little conversations and sentiments that make me wish I had the paper version so I could dog ear the corners of the pages that I really like. But alas, the narrator is wonderful. So wonderful, in fact, that I keep losing my place in the audiobook and find myself going back and having to relisten to whole chapters of the book and not really minding a bit.

And remember, you're never too old to fall in love with an unsuitable person. xoxo

6 comments:

Peddie said...

Ooooh this makes me happy because I was waiting for a review after the interesting little tidbit description on audible (which sometimes misses the point of the book entirely).

I also like that you sometimes re-listen and enjoy ;) I also re-listen, but have just got into "Dragonfly in Amber" and sometimes wonder if I really have the time to spare re-listening to ANYthing.

Those books are exhausting. I feel like I'm so far into the plot, and yet I'm only HALFWAY THROUGH the first of five parts!

iselby said...

I'm going to download it immediately! Oh boy, another good audiobook!

mere said...

I think I'm going to have to get my own audible book account, and no, I didn't download it yet. Am almost through with Unbroken which I REALLY like. BTW, we gave it to Bayne's dad for Father's Day (on his ipad no less!!) and he thinks it is a fantastic book! Am currently re-listening to Deathly Hallows on cd on way here to WV.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Good heavens, Peddie. There is no time to relisten to an Outlander book! How will you ever get through the other hours and hours of the book and books and books.

I have now officially been reading Book Five -- The Fiery Cross since Spring Break.

FYI, in the later books there are single days that last for chapters and chapters...

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Oooh! Get an audible account! Maybe if I refer you, I'll get a free book. I'll check. It's the best entertainment money I spend all month!

Grandpa Pop loved Unbroken too! I find myself recommending it constantly. Especially to men.

Peddie said...

HEAVENS! I would never re-listen to anything Claire does! I do love audibooks though...