Friday, February 26, 2010

Mr. Popper's Penguins

I'm feeling sentimental today. I'm also feeling cold, as in it's been snowing non stop for the best 24+ hours. These two things combined equals Mr. Popper's Penguins.

Have any of you out there in blogland read it? I think the I first read this book in 2nd or 3rd grade and people... I loved it. I still love penguins and the thought of them living with Mr. Popper is just too good for a child to pass up on. If you know any little kids who are looking for books - this is the one! Possibly my most highly rated children's book! I also like Chica Chica Boom Boom! but let's not get into that right now. This is a grown up reading group afterall.

Since my mind is a bit fuzzy other than remembering that I loved this book, here is a review from a real source:

Poor Mr. Popper isn't exactly unhappy; he just wishes he had seen something of the world before meeting Mrs. Popper and settling down. Most of all, he wishes he had seen the Poles, and spends his spare time between house-painting jobs reading all about polar explorations. Admiral Drake, in response to Mr. Popper's fan letter, sends him a penguin; life at 432 Proudfoot Avenue is never the same again. From one penguin living in the icebox, the Popper family grows to include 12 penguins, all of whom must be fed. Thus is born "Popper's Performing Penguins, First Time on Any Stage, Direct from the South Pole." Their adventures while on tour are hilarious, with numerous slapstick moments as the penguins disrupt other acts and invade hotels. Classic chapter-a-night fun. --Richard Farr

You really want to read it now, don't you..

10 comments:

Gwennie said...

Hi Isabug. I love Penguins and while I don't remember actually reading Mr. Popper's Penguins, Will said it's pretty beast. That's good, I think. MR liked Mr. Popper's Penguins and I think it was Wilson Ryan's favorite book so you are in good company.

Did you all ever read the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books? She was this wonderful grandmotherly character that parents would take children to when they had a bad habit that needed to be broken like too much whispering, or woudn't eat their vegetables or had dirty hands. Gee, I wonder how she'd break children of bad habits like texting when their parents were talking to them or leaving their phone chargers plugged in...

Mere said...

I think Mrs. Piggle Wiggle would most likely remove their phones temporarily, thank you very much.

iselby said...

I just looked up the cover on Amazon for Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and she looks familiar. I must have read that at some point, though I don't remember off-hand.

In other news... I am going to meet Chris Cleave at 4:30! For a champagne toast, nonetheless. The paperback is #3 on bestseller list right now. Yippee!

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

That's beast. Tell Christopher Cleave that we think he's beast and the Little Bee was Bee-astifying!!!

iselby said...

I must admit - he seemed like a very, very nice person. I also still need to read Little Bee - eek!

Mere said...

I just googled Chritopher Cleeve and read "Slightly Dangerous Cot" and am LOL. He reminds me of Uncle Henry. I would love to meet him and almost left a comment but I'm just not clever enough.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Mere, I meant to give you Little Bee wehen you were up at Christmas. I'll try to remember to bring it to SC for Spring Break.

Totally off subject but I can't wait for Spring Break!!!!

Mere said...

and we can't wait to see you!

Mere said...

(or spring for that matter)

Peddie said...

I have little bee too!

I LOVE MRS. PIGGLE WIGGLE!!!! And her husband was the pirate and they always found gold around the house (especially with the last book...) I've never read mr. Popper's PEnguins... should I get it sent to me?