Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife

You know how sometimes you read a really good book and when you finish it you think, "boy, that was a really good story.  I liked it:" and then you put the book on a shelf or pass it along to a friend not worried if they'll ever return it?  You don't worry because you know chances are, you aren't going to reread that book.  Chances are you probably won't even think about it again unless someone mentions it.
That is not the Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

I finished TTW almost three weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it.  Daily, I think about Claire and Henry.  There's some message in this story that won't let me go. Is it the science fiction time travel?  Is it the beautifully-crafted "fictional" love story that makes you believe in soul mates?  Or is it the recurring chicken and egg  quality to questions of destiny and fate? 

Like Life of Pi (one of my all-time favorite books), I found the Time Traveler's Wife to both beautifully written and well-told.  A truly novel novel.  I could easily have devoured this book in one sitting if my life allowed me to sit that long.  More delectable than a Magnolia Bakery Cupcake, a glass of Sticky Fingers BBQ sauce or a Columbia's special.

Read it and let me know what you think.  Borrow my copy if you want but be warned...I might want it back!


(p.s.  the movie of it comes out on DVD this weekend which I would rent from my video store but I can't because my video store closed and I STILL don't have Netflicks...soon...very soon Isabelle...)

4 comments:

Peddie said...

Haha... she has QUITE the last name! I must say though - all I saw were the previews for the movie and they looked a bit cheesy, making me lean towards the not-like.

I'm swayed back, however, by your fantastic recommendation on it though, and think I will give the book, at least, a chance.

iselby said...

Oh Peddie, don't you know by now that the book is always completely different from the movie! Take Confessions of a Shopaholic, for example. I couldn't even watch 5 straight seconds of that movie! I tried... I really did.

I haven't read this but I heard good things and every book I pick up at the airport has a quote on the front from Audrey Niffenegger. *Yea, weird last name indeed!

I also need to read the Life of Pi. I have a big list of books I need to read :(

Gwennie said...

I have Life of Pi as an audio book. I could send you my super secret contact information and you could download it.

Peddie said...

Yeah, I know. The name just had an automatic "ugh" from those previews... up till now. I will read it (someday... my list is big too). In fact, I think I need to re-read "Life of Pi" because I liked it a lot back when I read it, which was a year or two before the Mathews got into it. Maybe I read it too fast ;p