Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Elegance of the Hedgehog...

It's true that on the surface a hedgehog does not appear to be elegant (thank you Mere for the visual of Tiggy and Winkle consuming their young) but The Elegance of the Hedgehog is indeed an elegant book. I am over halfway through this very intelligent novel about life in a posh Parisian apartment building. While there are no dead bodies in the cupboards of this French apartment building, there is a concierge, a bright twelve year old girl and a new Japanese neighbor. It's a work destined to make you appreciate your liberal arts education and a well-turned phrase!

Voila, a book that makes existentialism fun!

12 comments:

mere said...

I like the cover. Do you have any of these books that you can loan me?

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I checked out Hedgehog from the library but it's one I wished I owned. There were a lot of great passages worth marking.

It would be a good book club book.

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

I'll bring you some books next week. I have Little Bee and I should bring you Sashenka. Hmmm...I'll see what else I have.

iselby said...

I want to read Hedgehog too - might go to the the bookstore and pick it up.. along with Girl Who Played With Fire.

mere said...

Lets write our own book

mere said...

and of course, illustrate it! We can start with a children's book perhaps then move to young adult.

Peddie said...

Oooh, that sounds like it's made for me!



and woeiuriwdhajfkjsd! Bring you some next week?!?! Are you guys visiting each other?!?! I AM SO HOMESICK!!!!!!!!!

Peddie said...

Oooh, that sounds like it's made for me!



and woeiuriwdhajfkjsd! Bring you some next week?!?! Are you guys visiting each other?!?! I AM SO HOMESICK!!!!!!!!!

iselby said...

YES! And then the Mathews are visiting ME!!!! (and new york...)

mere said...

btw I am continuing to LOVE The Madonnas of Leningrad. I make myself read it slowly to savor. Know what I mean?

Peddie said...

slowly to savor? Not much time on your hands (or reading a few pages before bed every night and then falling asleep not knowing where you left off but glad your finger is still on the right page?)

Peddie said...

SO JEALOUSSSSSSSSSSSS