Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Madonnas of Leningrad


While several of the books we have been reading for book club have been, well, a bit sorry, and SAME KIND OF DIFFERENT AS ME was "controversial" (not to me), we seem off to a good start on our April selection here. I am happily absorbed in The Madonnas because for one, it is well written with good character development and without an excess of words. Secondly it is about 3 of my interests: art history, WWII and the Pacific Northwest. The narrative flows back and forth between the present day and the 900 day siege of Leningrad which mirrors the mind of the main character Marina who is experiencing the beginnings of Alzheimer's. The priceless masterpieces in the Hermitage are packed and stored for the siege by Marina and in the present day they are a refuge in her mind. I have read 55 pages of 228 and while I find it hard to put it down, I think it is the kind of book I want to read slowly, relish and look up the works of art that Marina is describing. The author Debra Dean, grew up reading Louisa May Alcott, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Jane Austen and the Brontes. Sounds like a Selby/Mathews kind of author (but does she like Harry Potter, Twilight and The Shopaholic??

7 comments:

iselby said...

Great post, mere! This sounds like a book that I would like too. I stared Girl With the Dragon Tattoo today and really like it so far.

Mere said...

Is that a Simon and Sch by any chance? I know I can download it on Kindle though.Thanks for positive feedback.

Mere said...

Don't forget to read Pied Piper!!!!!!

Gwennie said...

That does indeed sound like an interesting book and one that I shall put on my list.

I can never resist looking at people's bookshelves when I show houses and I often note that at homes where Harry Potter dwells they often snuggle up close to other books that we like. I think the shopaholic books have yet to be discovered by the more literary crowd though. By the way, MR is reading takes Manhattan again in prep for spring break. She Is planning all her outfits for both NY and SC. All just pivots around securing the perfect pair of Clementine sandals and a fed ex box. She was aghast that we won't be checking bags for NY. She might be the real Becky and the rest of us, poor wannabes!

Isabug, I'm so glad you like Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

iselby said...

No, it's Vintage (Random House). I am borrowing it from my sister-in-law. I have one, you know..

I remember when we went to NYC for the first time and my dad didn't approve the outfit I had chosen. Is Uncle Marc checking all of her outfits?!?!

mere said...

What outfit did you choose? Was it a vintage Audrey Hepburn? Isn't that the Breakfast at Tiffany's trip??

iselby said...

I think it was that trip.. and I had decided to wear my jean shorts and a striped shirt...??