Monday, November 10, 2008

Jonathan Safran Foer

Another post! Already!
Aunt Gwenda's mention of crying while reading a book and Will getting irritated reminded me immediately of when I was trying to read JSF's "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" to Isabelle on our first night in Germany. We'd been reading it together or with the limit of one chapter ahead before the other could catch up, and sometimes outloud to each other. On this last night, going through the last couple chapters, I was trying to read to Isabelle (keep in mind, this is only a couple years ago) and finally had to stop because of my sobbing. THAT was a great book.

Better yet though, is his "Everything is Illuminated." These are both probably not books for everybody, but I don't know why. I've probably read the latter more times than any book in my life. Again, a somewhat fantastical blend of history to present day fiction and non-fiction, his style and voice really captures me. I especially love his ability to switch the first person characters without losing anything. So, will try to keep this snappier. Also, while I love it and how beautiful it's written, the first book has to do with 9/11. The best critical critique I ever heard of it was from my friend, saying "there are so many stories already... do we really need a made-up one?" Then again, "Illuminated" has to do with World War II.

I also want to make a shout out to my mom, a great book reader... happy birthday, Mere!

4 comments:

Gwen Williamson Mathews said...

Claire, I do believe that I still have your copy of Everything is Illuminated. Hope you weren't wondering where it was. As soon as I finish those Stephanie Meyer books and Eat, Pray, Love I'm going to give it another go. Then I'll return it. Also must mention that I stole Isabelle Allende's Daughter of Fortune from your room when I was last in South Carolina....Have you read her Zorro? I thought it was fun!

isabug said...

I guess that I will be the Cover Art blogger... my news is that there is a new cover for the Jonathan Safran Foer "Everything is Illuminated". It's not very interesting, but there is a new cover floating around out there.

I also bought the Newts book since it came so highly recommended. If anybody wants to borrow it after me I can mail it to you!

isabug said...

shout out to mom, hilarious.

Peddie said...

Hehe. Have you read that yet? And I wish they wouldn't change the cover... the first was so perfect (by which I mean the first one I ever saw, which were the words in black and white stones).

...just checked Amazon. I DO NOT LIKE THAT COVER ;(

And Auntie G, I have not read that book. You like it? I'm still nervous you won't like my most favorite book in the world, but it nonetheless remains my favorite and I still think you should therefore read it ;) I will read your favorite book in return, if I haven't already.