Sunday, November 16, 2008

New on the Blog

Thanks to Gwen for the invitation to the blog. I also love chatting about books, and currently work at the library - this, for me, is like spending my day at the dessert table, sampling everything, without gaining weight. A miracle, certainly! I am in the middle of a relatively recent book called "Turing's Delerium" by Edmundo Paz Soldan, said to be an important new Latin American writer (by no less a fellow than Mario Vargas Llosa). The plot has to do with government bureaucrats battling revolutionaries in Bolivia, all of them waging an internal battle to justify their actions, current and historic, to themselves and their loved ones. An international corporation has purchased the power company, and now nobody can afford any lights. This book was translated into English in 2006, so the writer didn't know about the coming financial crash...er, economic downturn, but his sense of the situation is quite prophetic. This is a really good book, but not something I would suggest for relaxation.

3 comments:

Peddie said...

Oooh... this sounds quite interesting. Would it be too stressful for something during say, an international flight?

Linda Martin said...

Well, that depends very much on one's individual comfort level. The book wouldn't scare me more while flying than while on the ground, because the fear factor, for me, is more about who might be reading your mail, or bugging your computer than interfering with your travel. If you decide to go with it, let me know what you think! Linda

Peddie said...

Hahaha... you sound like a German! (I always think they're too paranoid about things like online-banking... though it's true, they're just being safe).
I will look into the book though!