Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns- Khaled Hosseini


I'm just finishing up A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (listening to it as audio book while I run). I know some of you all have read it already and I bet most of us have read The Kite Runner by the same author. I have to say that I loved this book! It's equal to or surpasses The Kite Runner for me which I didn't think possible. It has the vivid prose of the Kite Runner but I won't ruin the story if you haven't read it except that it's life in Afghanistan told from a woman's perspective. Sad yes, but beautiful just like real life. (Okay, now I want to go watch Life is Beautiful having said that).
I listened to most of this as the election was happening and it made me feel especially patriotic and thoughtful about the luxury of living in America where we are able to change leadership without guns. I could also talk endlessly about my thoughts on the separation of church and state but I won't. If you do the audio book, the narrator is terrific. I bought it for my iPod but I know the library has it on CD. xoxoxo. g.

5 comments:

isabug said...

I need to start downloading books... that would be nice for the subway ride to work!

Gwennie said...

If you download them, check out www.audible.com. It's way cheaper than iTunes and they have this membership credit thing. Wonder if I can recommend it to you officially somehow and get a free credit...What a tightwad I am...

P.S. this was a S & S audio so do you get those cheaper somehow?

isabug said...

yea, if I actually buy the CD.... hmmm...

I get 60% off I think...

Susan D said...

I actually read this in record time...I loved it. I enjoyed it much more than "The Kite Runner."
It just seemed to pull me in more for some reason. Perhaps it was b/c of the female characters...I do tend to identify more with them. An excellent book...btw, confession time...I'm re-reading Eclipse. Such a junkie, am I.

Peddie said...

Dangit... I bet you had this on your computer, didn't you... Do you have an external harddrive or will it fit on a usb stick... in April?